Last night our charming waitress shared she was turning 60 “very soon”. She had that panicked look I did when I was in that same rather terrifying situation 6 plus years ago.
It struck me that many of you might be JUST turning 60 or have a friend who is and need some support as you tip over the line into being truly FabulousOver60.
Cathy and I have been writing our blog for quite a while – so we are VERY comfortable being FabulousOver60 and are almost (though not quite please GOD) thinking about coming up to SensationalOver70 – no plans on that for at least 3 or 4 years!
So you are turning 60. . . Happy birthday!
- It takes getting used to so don’t expect a big bell to go off and you arrive in fabulous land. Your 50s went on a long time and were filled with much turmoil as is typical of the age. Working remains front and center, shifting family relationships cause lots of planned and unplanned change, and fighting the menopause nightmare 30 lbs. keeps you up if the first two don’t. Relax, you can finally lose the weight without cutting your head off and you get very used to personal and professional change and have it in greater perspective. If you aren’t used to constant change by now you haven’t been paying attention.
- Don’t dwell too much on this being the beginning of the final third of your life. It is, but there is so much going on that preparing for the end is just a bit premature. You are not in denial as much as just knowing that if you lasted this long, you likely have a way to go. But do get a copy of Younger Next Year – taking care of yourself is definitely a major priority now.
- Remember that the way your Mom, Aunt, or cousin handled their 60s will likely not offer much relevant guidance. 60 is not the new anything except the new 60 – but options have increased, change is not only more rapid but more comfortable than ever. That is, unless you stopped growing as a person somewhere in your 40s. If that is the case, get thee to therapy – you are NOT ready to be FabulousOver60.
- Less is more is not only true, but as you go through your 60s you will find the urge to purge growing more intense. You will love throwing out things at the same level you used to be thrilled buying things, and you will have a simple phrase to use to make decisions. You don’t need MORE, but you do need higher quality everything. Better shoes, a better handbag, better friends who are not just in your life due to the fact that they always have been, better manicures, better more thoughtful books, conversations, and value. The sooner you get to this place the better.
- A new life – yes, a new life filled with new and fresh choices. It is time to travel, move, consider alternatives, start or stop dating, recommit to your marriage or get divorced, actively engage with your faith preference, renew your commitment to being a great citizen and overall being a better, finer person. Like wine you go bad or you get awesome. Choose wisely – we can tell you that all of these things make being 65 very sweet – or just another birthday.
Welcome to the club. It is a wonderful place to be if you take personal responsibility for making it your best decade ever. One thing is for sure – and we keep saying it here at FabulousOver60 – it’s all about your attitude and your effort – it always has been about that hasn’t it? So somethings do NOT change, which is a good thing.